8.13.2009

Paul Emile Berthon
















I know almost nothing about Paul Emile Berthon- and from what I can tell no one else does, either. It's possible I'm just being lazy, but I did try..

I know he was born in 1872 and died in 1909 at the age of 37. I have no clue how he passed, but I like to think he died during an act of coitus with some model during a lunar eclipse on a bed of lettuce. Or something equally magical.

Along with Alfons Mucha, he was part of the Art Nouveau movement, studying under Eugene Grasset- another formidable artist associated with the decorative arts style. His lithographs are extraordinary, gentle treatments of women dressed in a lush palette of golds and gem stone-like color. Influenced strongly by Japanese prints and flora and fauna- these elements are strong within his work as well. Most of his posters do not include script, allowing them even more freedom to stand alone as wonderful works of art.

Oh, and he lived in Paris and had a moustache.



No comments: